To choose not to forgive, is to reject our Almighty Father. To reject our Heavenly Father is to offend Him. This is sin. What a shameful loss it is to reject the spiritual nourishment of His unconditional love!
The Holy Sacrament of Reconciliation is the miraculous gift of Jesus Christ's healing forgiveness. All thanks to the Almighty for the holy priests who obediently and prayerfully listen, advise and bless the penitent with Christ's sacrament of mercy, compassion and grace.
Faithfulness in performing penance is an act of loving submission to our Lord. It is a holy gift to experience true sorrow for how deeply sin pains our Eternal Father's heart. Perhaps the heartbreak the soul feels at the offense of another is a minute sample of our Almighty Creator's heartbreak when His children sin against Him!
Penance heightens the awareness of how to "avoid the near occasions of sin". It also prevents the soul from blindly falling into the trap of "casting pearls to swine". Choosing to be a doormat is neither holy nor humble. Truly charitable Christian behavior can be learned by studying the The Gifts of the Holy Spirit and the Works of Mercy.
2) Jesus takes up His cross
3) Jesus falls the first time
4) Jesus greets His afflicted Mother
5) Simon helps Jesus to carry His cross
6) Veronica offers her veil to the Holy Face of Jesus
7) Jesus falls the second time
8) Jesus comforts the weeping women of Jerusalem
9) Jesus falls the third time
10) Jesus is stripped of His garments
11) Jesus is nailed to the cross
12) Jesus dies on the cross
13) Jesus is taken down from the cross
14) Jesus is laid in the tomb